This ain't no space sim no more....

Supreme Cmdr

Start crying... biggrin.gif

quote:

*snip*

Just wait until Battlecruiser Millennium hits the streets, if you've even played BC3K v2.0x, in BCM, I've given new meaning to persistent universe. The options are purely mind boggling. I playing on a server in first person perspective as a combat marine launched from a surface base on Earth and scouting for an ATV to command and drive around, when some Insurgent jackass (one of my dev guys), emerged in orbit around the planet, and dropped no less than 2 OTS (Orbit To Surface) weapons smack in the middle of the base and wiped it out. The NPC radar site on my base, picked them up on radar, the klaxxon went off (which is how we were alerted), but for some reason, the NPC controlled SAM sites on our base, didn't even launch a missile to take down the incoming STO missiles (bug or poor AI?). I picked them up on my hand-held radar so I made a beeline for some hills to minimize my damage. I turned off my radar so that my TTD was not visible from his Tacops computer (which he was using to scan the planet surface from orbit) and while he was figuring out if he'd wiped out all of us, I made a beeline for a still standing STO (Surface To Orbit) unit, locked him up (its radar can scan up to orbit range) and took him clean out of orbit. I think he jammed the first missile. I then got on a shuttle, headed for space and grabbed all his cargo pods (I was planning on selling them)
. Just then, I got a message about some interesting skirmish over on Mars. I couldn't dock at GALCOM hq, because he had destroyed it, prior to gettig into orbit, so I called for an NPC transport evac from the Starpath station around Mars (GHQ was going to take too long to rebuild) and when it came, I hitched a ride, got off the planet and joined in an Earthcom vs Raider skirmish involving marines on foot, driving ATVs, Combat Assault Buggies as well as some fighter jocks providing air cover. The NPCs weren't doing that good (I think I've over-dumbed down the game somewhat) so we wiped them out in short order....until a strike fleet of human+NPC carriers and cruisers emerged in orbit. We all died very quickly. LOL! I guess you had ta be there.

So far, *all* unit types in the game are controllable in first person. And to make the game open to everyone, not just those who are used to the complexity, you can now choose a career, race, caste and unit type, so, if you don't want the complexity of the game, don't start a career as a Commander in control of a carrier unit, instead, play as a fighter pilot and you'll get to pick a base in space or on a planet. Or, if you are a first-person shooter fan, you can just play as a combat marine (with a full assortment of weaponry), assigned to a planetary base where you will also get to control any type of ground vehicle that you have the EP to control. So, if you have high EPs, you can fly a shuttle (just walk up to it and hit the spacebar) or even a fighter, thereby extending your range. And of course you can hitch a ride on any unit if you want to leave a planet and go to another. You can also walk up to a SAM site and control it in first person. Your HUD will simply be replaced with its targeting data, allowing you to take out air targets and if you do find an STO unit, then, nobody is going to hang around in orbit.
Playing as a marine, means you only have to read *5* pages of the 185 page manual (the BC3K v2.0x manual was 142 pages). If you want to later control a shuttle or fighter (you can't control any higher class of vehicle), then you have to read about 20 pages because you now have to learn how to fly

So far, the list of controllable unit *types* includes (all screen shots are on the site) the following. Selectable race and caste, remain as before in BC3K v2.0x, 12 races and 25 castes to choose from.

carriers - 09

cruisers - 10

fighters - 24

transports - 08

shuttles - 03

ground vehicles - 10 (ATVs, Humvees, CABs etc)

naval vehicles - 03

ground threats - 26 (SAMs, SALs, STOs etc)

space units - 58 (star stations)

marines - 02 (type types)

Believe me, you haven't had fun until you and some buddies (human or NPC) are running around on a Humvee, CAB (combat assault buggy) or ATV (all terrain vehicle) while some guys in fighters or PAS (personnel airborne skimmers) are taking pot shots at you from 1000'. One of the fun things to do as a supplies pilot is to fly around looking for cargo pods of supplies and weaponry, to drop for your marine buddies in a hot zone. Unlike FPP shooters, you don't primarily run around picking shit up (except for weapons/ammo from the fallen), you have to go to your base to get them...and if that base is destroyed, until its repaired and back online, you're SOL unless you have a resourceful buddy who flies around look for that sort of stuff to pick up or buy and dropping them (as in BC3K v2.0x) for your side.

As before, the usual campaigns are there and when they end, the world still goes on, even in multi-player. I am tempted to do some CTF type campaigns for those who like that kind of game, but I'm undecided. So far, its all about trading, exploring and extreme carnage - and in keeping with the BC3K tradition, competely open-ended.

One of the things I have yet to address, is the boundaries of space issue. The game world is just *too* huge. Even though BCM has 16 player support (restricted by design) and is built on the massively multiplayer engine used for the 2001 release, Galactic Command Online (GCO) which supports up to 1000 per server, with each server capable of hosting an entire quadrant by itself and linking 4 servers to form the galaxy; 16 people can get lost in a universe of 75 planets, 145 moons and 108 space regions. Even 1000 people playing on 4 servers hosting that universe, will most likely get lost. I am tempted to create a new smaller multiplayer specific galaxy (in much the same way some games have multiplayer specific 'maps'), but I don't particularly want to get lynched by the user base. :-)

Right now, someone playing as a Gammulan military commander, has to come all the way from Quadrant 4 (many, many jumps from Sol) to Quadrant 1, in order to engage opposing Terran forces, unless of course he/she runs into them en-route or they show up on there doorstep first. Flying from Sol (Q1) to LV-115 (Q4) takes a lot of skill, guts and firepower, so, I'm probably going to be introducing some new technology I dreamed up in the shower two nights ago. I'm calling it a Subspace Relocation Unit, SRU, and will work like the current HSD (Hyperion Subspace Device) artifact. This allows you to activate it and open up a hole in the time-space continuum, you then punch in your desired system destination (just like the HSD) and you will emerge at that location (just like the HSD) instantaneously. But, unlike the HSD (no artifacts allowed in multiplayer games) which is re-usable, the SRU needs some time to re-charge before it can be used again and requires fuel. I am still unsure whether to restrict its use to ships alone. If I allow marines to have access to it, then they can hop from planet to planet at will, ruining the fun of hitching a shuttle or transport ride.

Game play balancing is going to be a bitch, but, in keeping with the BC3K tradition, it will be an on-going tweaking issue and thats what patches are for :-)

As for graphics, pah, this time around, we've got that in Aces. One thing I do know for sure is, they're better than Starlancer, Tachyon and Terminus, probably even FS2. But, I'll leave that up to the judges as I look forward to the prerequisite righteous roasting I'm gonna get if just one person doesn't think so.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 04-26-2000).]

Hmm. Somthing just happened that I'm unaccustomed to.

Just a couple of words. WANNA PLAY.

I'm not one for drooly posts, but Im startin to get a tingling that I normally reserve for *special* occasions. Chief? Can we play too? Soon? Please?

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

Very, VERY, VERY cool biggrin.gif

I really like the sounds of this experience point system you mentioned in being able to pilot certain units.

Also, what was this snipped from?

"And Now for an Important Message from Insurgent One!"

Aw Right! Who's been impersonating an Insurgent? Either he goes all the way and joins us or we find his identity and prosecute him with extreme prejudice when the rest of us can play also!

This just ain't right Boss! "Uncle Rattler" wants to come out and play! wink.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

All right... that's it... now you've gone and done it...

Now I really want to play!!!!

(I'll need a new keyboard since my drool shorted mine out as I was reading this thread) smile.gif

... and who is this Insurgent, who is getting to play even before Insurgent One!!!

Man that just isn't right!!! frown.gif (grumble, grumble, grumble)

Come on SC, let us play... we promise not to suggest any wish list items...

In fact my wish list only has "Test BCM" on it...

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

Hmm....After reading all that, I had to take a second look at my upgrade budget:

32 more megs of Ram.....Check

VooDoo3 2000.....Check

Windows 98.....Check

Evergreen Spectra 400.....Needed

Ah I need to edit this:

Evergreen Spectra 400.....Urgenty Needed!!!

Time to go shopping folks!!!

biggrin.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

I don't blame him either. Would you want to have the Rest of the Insurgents on your backside for taking advantage of them? He'd better be GOOD though. We don't want him giving the rest of us a bad Rep! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

*extends groping hands*

Parias wants the toy! Wants it! Wants!!!!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

The game will be mind boggeling. smile.gif

BTW. What is CTF?

I hope you put some more restrictions on the use of the "Subspace Relocation Unit". Because I think it might hurt some other elements of the game. I think a lot of the fun and satisfaction of the game in the online version will come from massive player fleets coordinate efforts to invade another region, they will have to be supplied, repaired and reinforced en-route (taking a lot of planning). And while they are fighting their way across the galaxy the defenders would have time to muster some sort of defense, possible send out a fleet or two to meet the enemy before even reach their homebase. But if the attackers do make it to their goal and destroy it, it make victory all the more sweeter knowing that all your planning and hard work payed off might even be worth some speical award for their efforts. smile.gif Would be a different story if huge fleets could just appear in the middle of enemy space with no warning, game would just turn into another slug fest. frown.gif

If you don't mind I would suggest limiting the number of ships able to teleport at one time using the device. This is good for quick dirty raids(those wishing for a quick fight or two) plus could be use to send in the vanguard of a invasion fleet just before it enters enemy space. These are just some of the possibilities of a device such as the "Subspace Relocation Unit".

Regardless I just can't wait to cruise around in BCM and GCO. biggrin.gif

------------------

EarthCOM-Officer Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 04-26-2000).]

Awesome! Looking foward to BCM! Really curious how effective the STO is , really changes the whole strategy though. Cool, gonna need new tactics : )

So far, *all* unit types in the game are controllable in first person. And to make the game open to everyone, not just those who are used tothe complexity, you can now choose a career, race, caste and unit type, so, if you don't want the complexity of the game, don't start a career as a Commander in control of a carrier unit, instead, play as a fighter pilot and you'll get to pick a base in space or on a planet.

Excellent! perfect example how it should be done : ) , integrating genres rather than trying to merge them which kills both genres.

Guess some people/companies can learn something here > frown.gif

Mano Faber

GCV Aegis

Prime Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected] www.globalxs.nl/home/m/mfaber73/academy

[This message has been edited by Mano Faber (edited 04-26-2000).]

I think limiting the use on the SRU would be a good idea, or else it would be no fun, you know, with people popping in and out all the time.

On the issue of limiting the Galaxy... it might be a good idea. When BCM comes out, I plan on finding out how well my computer could act as a server (which probably won't be that well, but I might as well try) by maybe holding an RP server, where some Commanders would log on, and explore around. But lets say we're all scattered throughout the sector. Now, thats no fun at all! First, I'd have to find someone, then waste fuel to get to wherever they are. But with the restriction 'option', I could say, limit the game to a few regions, that way, it would be easier to find your buddy and fly over to his ship for perhaps a dinner banquet, or maybe a friendly get together.

And, although I am unsure, this might take some strain off of the servers end, so another bonus to us that don't have a T1 and a 1GHz computer. Just giving my 2 cents.

I can see it now on the forum for several of us old "new" commanders - RTWFM; all 185 pages of it biggrin.gif

Looking forward to the debut and the carnage that will follow tongue.gif

I say nay to the Subspace Relocation Unit, SRU. A good idea but I would make those that wish to travel across the entire galaxy earn their passage. IMO this will require massive thought and contemplation of these commander(s) when an invasion is mounted smile.gif If the SRU is implemented then make the recharge rate long.

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 04-26-2000).]

Guest aramike01

OMG!!! This is insanity... I want it! Real bad!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Yes, the SRU will need restrictions. For one thing, I think I'll leave it for use by ships only. As far a limiting how many ships can use it, I have no control over that. The best way is to just have the anomaly (which you have to jump thru), form and stay active for about 60 secs or so. This way, anyone can use it while its active. This in itself will limit the amount of ships (friendly or hostile) that can jump thru it. LOL!, imagine activating it go get away from a skirmish, only to have the attacker jump in after you! smile.gif

As for limiting the multplayer galaxy, I dunno at this point. Thats what I did for Xtreme Carnage anyway. However, rather than create a new one like I did for XC, I will simply break up the existing one into systems. So, if a server is running SOL, thats all its running. But, that also poses more work for me because I will have to put in the bases, stations, alliances etc, so that all of them are represented in Sol. No minor feat. The more I think I about it, the more I think that (a) I may just leave the galaxy as is and everyone will just have to go where the action is (B) spend time doing a multiplayer specific galaxy. I don't like 'b' very much because its more work that I never anticipated.

As for setting up servers, at this point, that won't be an option over the Internet. I may go with an online network such as Heat.Net, The Zone or MPlayer (my last choice) due to their worldwide coverage. You will still be able to host and play games on an internal LAN, but for Internet, you have to go through a major network. If this changes, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 04-26-2000).]

This is gonna be awsome SC. I really can't wait to get my hands on it smile.gif About that SRU, you could make it risky like the Flux Fields. They would get to their target system,but sometimes it might take damage or impare their movement for a few seconds. just a thought though.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

quote:

Start crying...

To late! I'm crying like a baby now!

How am I gonna find time to eat, to sleep, to go to the bathroom (well for that one, I will have to make some modifications to my chair or buy a container of Depends) when I get my hands on "THE GAME of Milenium"?

SC, are you shure that we won't be accused of "Denial of Service" by the poor ISP that will host the game? biggrin.gif

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

Hmmm, if memory serves me right, won't one of the upcomming BC Games (don't remember which one) let us use MCV's to build our very own bases/spacestations? I must say, I can hardly wait for this feature as well, this'll be like a blend of every single genre in gaming by the time its done.

quote:

I think I've over-dumbed down the game somewhat

Noooo....

What are you doing with the AI that makes it dumb? Was it too accurate before? Too fast? Is this something that can be scaled based on configuration settings?

I share Karl's concern that the Subspace Relocation Unit can alter the dynamics of fleet play. Would this eliminate the need for blockades/blockade running? or border patrols? scouts? No more "box canyon" strategies of forcing enemy fleets into closed off corners and picking them off.