New Interface Shots

Supreme Cmdr

SC-First you have to steal a Gammulan shuttle, then after you de-cloak you send every marine you have onto that carrier. You know that is something we will all have to try. Hide our Battle Cruiser and pillage and burn the system with that mother of a ship.

This waiting is really getting to me. If I don't get my hands on BCM soon I'll be ...............,sorry about that, it seems that there was someone knocking at my outer airlock. Please hurry!!! People are beginning to ask questions to the state of my sanity. I'M OK, RIGHT? >------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught, GALCOMHQ (Earth)

G2 Intelligence/Security; G3 Tactics (Acting)-Prime Fleet

[This message has been edited by Maxamillian (edited 09-20-2000).]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow smile.gif guess it's not better to have the sc after my ass... but if i succed in capturing one wouldn't Galcom give me a medal for it.. we could use it for our war to them ... smile.gif

------------------

Commander Nick Jamont

GCV Prophecy IV, ISSHQ (Saturn)

Intel & Espionage Wing Leader - ISS Fleet

"silence is gold"

SC you mentioned you were not decided on the fonts. IMHO, given the iconization that you've applied, a larger font size than that used in BC3000AD would be easier to read and reduce alot of squinting at the smaller screens. By the way does the target information tag font change color when the HUD changes color in BC Millenium?

Guest aramike01

About the interface: am I the only one that's going to miss the old interface?

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

The only thing i'll REALLY miss is the bridge... all those cool hanging chairs really gave the the game a "starship" feel.

Whoa!  You can get the same "bridgeless" feel right now by pressing F1 while one the bridge.  In short, I just think the SC likes flying without the bridge/cockpit overlay and really wanted us to concentrate on the iconic interface versus the lettered interface we use now.

Please, let me be right on this one.

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

S.O.G. Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet

"Hard, Fast, Furious... FIRST!"

Wraith S.O.G. Home

Guest aramike01

I like the idea of HUD-only - all that clutter seemed to interfere at times. What I was refering to mostly was the text-based interface. It added a dimension of complexity to the game. Kinda like if a friend would take a look at the monitor, he'd have no idea what the hell was being represented, while I'd know exactly what I'm looking at. Just like a passenger in the cockpit of an airplane: "all those gauges..." wink.gif

In a way, I thought it added some intimacy between commander and BC. "Don't touch that!!! Let me! Only I know my ship!!!"

Also, was nice because of the realism level, if reality can be applied to a space-sim. Icons just don't seem enhance the environment as, if you will, digital gauges.

But, in all fairness, I do like the iconic interface, too. Certainly makes things a tad easier on the learning end.

-Bored to Death in Baltimore biggrin.gif

------------------

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

Tyrn, you are right.

Further, my rendition of all bridge/cockpit views, is a VR head-mounted system. You can't see anything else outside it. The selection of options is via a keypad on the console or chair (use your imagination), not any kind of neural implants, if thats what some of you are thinking.

I wanted ease of use and didn't take into account (nor did I care, really) that you can't see chairs hanging from the ceiling. The old interface was archaic and looked 1996-ish.

Dreada, I think you didn't get my point. Some guys were talking about how cool the old bridge looks, and I was just saying that keeping that bridge layout would be a lot of effort and time, which is probably not worth at this time.

So I think we both are saying the same thing smile.gif

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

Apart from the humongous amount of time and resources required, guess who would have to write code for each and every cockpit system for each and every player controllable asset, in the game. For what? Even if I had the time and money to do it, I wouldn't - because the end won't justify the means. In fact, I had started by experimenting with 3D rendered cockpits (anyone remember those?) and quickly abandoned the idea when it became obvious what I was getting myself into.

Dreada: No need to smile.gif . I didn't make myself clear in my first post.

SC: Yep, I remember those 3D cockpits. A lot of work indeed. Cool for eye candy but pointless for playability.

Ok, looks like most votes go for the transparent cockpit/bridge (not that it really matters anyway wink.gif )

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

I have to agree with Dreada's quote. Actually I thought realism was driving the whole first person approach that has been "temporarily" ( we can hope ) put on the back burner. Now, I don't necessarily need alot of 3D stuff but one of the things that attracted me to BC3000AD was that old interface. It was unique. Sure it was static but that plus the crew chatter gave just enough of a hint of "reality". As I said in a very old post the feel of command is an important aspect of this simulation. Anything that can be done to keep that feel would be appreciated. You've (SC) developed a framework for adventure that fills that need in a number of diverse people in a number of different ways. A significant number of frequently posting gamers have stated their view. Why not capitalize on the feedback? Its there for the taking. If time permits of course.

Like I've said before keep up the good work. Its looking very good. A truly professional effort.

quote:

Why not capitalize on the feedback? Its there for the taking. If time permits of course

....because I don't believe in pointless ventures. Talking about it isn't going to do any good nor change anything, because I don't plan on making any changes outside my design which is already in place.

Hopefully, I've made myself clear now.

Guest aramike01

Or, send me a check for $100,000 and I'll try to talk him into it with tons of blabbering emails. biggrin.gif

------------------

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

Derek, your point is clear. I wouldn't want to work on anything that I thought was pointless either. By the way, how does the new interface handle viewing left, right,rear, up, and down views? Does the gamer get iconized clues that cue them which way they are looking from the ship? Or did I miss something in the preview shots?

I always wondered why there is no support for up and down views. When I watch battles from the bridge, I can look forward, left, back, and right (F1, F2, F3, and F4). How come nobody thought to allow up and down (unless I missed something all this time) since things are happening in three dimensions?

I guess the closest thing is the turret views, but I find that difficult to manage, since I don't want to control the turrets -- I only want to see what's going on above and below my ship.

I'm guessing thats what tacops is for..... and that dual head support SC was talking about for BCM.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

I beg to differ, courteously...

F8 and F10 are external views, anchored on a viewpoint. F8 anchors on your position relative to your target. F10 anchors on your target's position relative to its target. Both views offer several alternatives: from your position to your target, from your target's position relative to yours, and floating (locked and unlocked). These are very pretty views and are fun to watch from a movie perspective.

TacOps views are also nice, but they are a God's-eye view of the action. Also pretty to watch, but you have to manually slew your view to keep up with things.

F1, F2, F3, and F4 are like looking out the windows of your ship. If I have a target in my front view that is circling around to my left, I can switch to F2 and watch my PTAs from the port window. The same goes for watching the station go by (or even the planets). However, if a ship flys overhead, I have no topside view to switch to. I would have to roll the ship and then look out my side windows.

Another difference between F1-F4 and F8,F10 is that you don't get bridge messages when in the F8,F10 views (e.g., claxons when enemies show up). You do get them from TacOps and you can even issues orders from TacOps (which you can't do from any Fx view), but none of these views are like looking out from inside your ship.

It just seemed to me that the current front/left/back/right approach was very 2d thinking. I was wondering if adding a top/bottom view was practical, feasible, and/or considered.

This is not a request for feature creep (well... maybe just a little one smile.gif ), but I was mostly just curious why it hadn't been addressed before.

Approaching the airlocks, suspiciously eying the door...