BCM XP - The Grand Scheme Unveiled

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by rtoolooze:

WOW, I must say S.C., the F-15 Cockpit is simply stunning! And my opinion counts as I'm a huge flight sim fan. I'm so happy about cockpits in the game that I'm just giddy all over!

heh, check out the F16 one that I just signed off on.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Cool,

I guess I am just used to the open discussion about this kind of "stuff" in the Quake/FPS community.

New community, new mise-en-scène

I understand. But the fact is : this is not Quake. BCM is a far more complex game than any shooter you could possibly dream up. As such, NONE of what you think shooters do (net code wise) applies here. And me explaining in detail is just going to waste my time and baffle most. As such, I simply can't be bothered. BCM uses a client/server architecture. It will work as designed and intended. Thats all there is to it. None of that other rubbish matters. You don't have to know how a game works in order to play it. I give out information when I find time and if I think that it will serve a purpose.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jerold Keenan:

Christ... I better start saving now, i'm going to need a whole new computer for this

Heh

The fact is, while they will run (I'm not going to prevent it), they [win98/Me] will not be officially supported. So, if you are running on either of those two and you have a problem, don't waste your time reporting it.

THose cockpits are incredible SC, absolutely incredible. Man, All I need to do now is find a good enough job to be able to afford a new computer before xp-1 goes beta!!! I gotta have this!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

THose cockpits are incredible SC, absolutely incredible. Man, All I need to do now is find a good enough job to be able to afford a new computer before xp-1 goes beta!!! I gotta have this!!!

uhm, those cockpits are for XP2

well sc if your looking for some one with an EXTREMLEY POWERFUL NEW COMP for the xp 1 beta, 1.8 with 512 mb of ram, and dvd rom and cd writer, 64mb gf2....omg whats this> a computer with these exact specifications sitting on my desk!!!...and iv'e been typing it on the entire time? time to upgrade my system info

(Pic 4)

Holy $h!t!!! Woah, that is one tight skybox! Man, I'm getting impatient for XP... You know how to bring out the best and worst (as in being the impatient (insert a word here) we are) in us, SC!

*Must save up money.

*Must upgrade computer.

*Must buy XP1.

Any chance of seeing one of those new nebulas in a sneek peek shot soon, SC?

Guest rtoolooze

quote:

"heh, check out the F16 one that I just signed

off on."

Awwww, now you went and spoiled Falcon4 for me!

Hmmmmm..... too bad I could'nt just copy and paste that cockpit over to F4.

May have missed the nitty gritty...but what are the new system requirements to run BCM with the XP1 on top?

To maintain smooth play like I have now with what I got, will I need to get a major upgrade just to see these new features go anymore than 10fps?

I have a question thought : will you change the tags in XP1 like we asked to... and that you said you would do after BCM is done? Like for the GMV-Thing for gammulans... etc...

I say that because I noticed (as I recently decided to become an Empirian since the db is temporarily down) that I'm a UCV, while I'm still part of Galcom.

er ahem excuse me i think il budge in here for a second, will xp-1 have new planet types i read the xp1 feature set didnt notic anything being said about it i ask this because you said you were expanding the bc universe in xp1, and will lava planets actually have lava, i think resnig has a new life dream to swim in a lava pool!, ok one last one i know your busy, will their be new space vareing ship types like maybe a new carrier or two?

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: xierxior ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Probably not

So hypothetically does that mean I can order it on EB locally here instead of from the US? I don't really know how this work but if I have to, I'll still order it from BMT Micro.

Exclusivity means that it's only sold in an exclusive place (BCM in EBgames only). If BCM: XP1 doesnt have an exclusivity in EBgames, then you'll find it in most stores and internet sites (amazon, Ebworld,etc).

Laracuente out

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

So hypothetically does that mean I can order it on EB locally here instead of from the US? I don't really know how this work but if I have to, I'll still order it from BMT Micro.

I think there still might be a question with international sales.

Well after reading the whole thread here up to this point I feel I have to say a few things.

Steep System Requirements: SC is marketing this game to a niche market to begin with. This game is very complicated and very large in scope requiring lots of time in order to get the most utility out of it. Typically, this type of gamer has the most powerful type of system anyway and only plays a few select games from only a few generes. Therefore, most of the customer base will probably already have the necessary system reqs. Technology development does not stand still and is progressing around the speed of light. If you can't afford the system now, within a year you probably will. All you really need is a new box... not a new monitor, printer, etc. Upgrades are getting cheaper all the time. Don't like it? Get off the bus. SC is walking a path of his own, doing something he loves, creating something he's dreamed of creating and sharing the vision with us. If you want to come along for the ride that's great, but don't complain if you can't keep up.

The New Features: Ok... so it's more like a whole different game at this point. I don't know how you do it SC. If you've found the secret to not sleeping please tell me, I need to know. Also, since SC has total conrtrol of the product and it's development, code optimizations and other such things can be planned, approved, implemented, and then tested much faster than if you had a team of 10 people or so who only know their own modules of the product to a useful extent. Speed in this industry is life and the more complicated a game is the longer it will take. Star Wars Galaxies is an example. It will be in development for a very long time and will still have the same opening day hiccups that every other MMOG has had since their beginning. I think SC might actually try and beat standard that with BCO. He's got more than enough Beta-testers here to make a good testing run, including myself.

I'm glad this game has not been designed from the start to be some kind of marketing miracle like so many others. Watch the Frontline episode "The Monster That Ate Hollywood" on PBS and compare it to the software industry. (www.pbs.org) History is littered with failed projects and really crappy ones that have been designed by commitee. Total control does have it's upside.

Along with that comes the issue of user-end made mods and utilities and such. I couldn't agree more with SCs handling of this. He's given all of us the tools to alter his creation as we see fit and still maintain the integrity of the engine as a whole. I've seen far too many cases where the users get more power than the developers from these tools and use them for evil purposes. Really ticks me off sometimes.

Now on to more mundane stuff,

rtoolooze, if you look in the right places you can find AWESOME 3rd party patches for f4... including a totally button-pushable cockpit...

COWBOY BEBOP AND OUTLAWSTAR KICK BUTT!!! On a site note I own Spike's gun from the series. Send me an email if you'd like to know more lest I get really off topic. [email protected]

Like anime? Check out www.jessebox.com for more.

Well, nuff ranting... can't wait to meet you all in hyperspace.

EDIT: Just wanted to fix a few errors and as some other stuff.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Eihort ]

quote:

COWBOY BEBOP AND OUTLAWSTAR KICK BUTT!!!

*grin*

If I only had more time and a 3d program, I'd be creating the Outlaw Star, in all it's wonderous glory..... But alas, I've always got too much school work to do actual work like that; that is, unless you want me to quit forum browsing for a while to pick up the project.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

I think there still might be a question with international sales.

XP1 should be available worldwide, with or without an EB exclusive. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to go the extra mile to ensure that the those file people in Siberia, who probably won't even have the system requirements, can get a copy.

And of course, it will still be available for purchase via BMT Micro.