General crash, lockups etc....(resolved)

Guest The Mule

Guest The Mule

Hi Derek-

Sorry, dont mean to be a pain in the butt, but....

System Specs:

Windows ME

AMD Tbird 1GHz 200 FSB (not OC'ed)

Abit KT7 (with VIA 4 in 1's)

768 Megs Kingston PC133 SDRAM

VisionTek GeForce 3 (standard and not OC'ed)

Soundblaster X-Gamer

MS IntelliEye USB Mouse

MS Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 USB

DirectX 8.1

4.42 Gig space on Hard Drive, no partitions

Running in background (only these):

Explorer

Whagent

Systray

Problem:

Crashes to desktop after launching a mission (IA, NEW, or Training)

or

Hangs at mission loading screen after says "Loading Completed, Standby" (IA, NEW, or Training)

or

System lockup

What I have tried:

All BIOS changes listed at http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/bcm/bcmfaq.html

3 different desktop resolutions

Default setup options

Sacrificing a young virgin (not really, but soon)

Please help, I am DYING to play! I picked up 5 games at EB today, and aside from blasting a few Nazis in Wolfenstein, this is the only other game I have tried to play (I REALLY wanna play!).

Thanks,

James

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this will fix your problem or not, but general rule of thumb is to not trust windows Memory management if you got over 512meg and even then you might be wanting to curb it's power if you're over 128meg. Read this article here, might help you in regards to crashing: http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmtz.htm

Lemme know if that fixes it, I don't have the game yet, but that article is just good tech info for any windows geek.

Vandal (eagerly awaiting his moment under the Terran sun.)

Guest Melanie650

I did that right now, so I did my test. I once again destroyed the Galcom station at really close range. I launched all 4 of my fighters and began working on destroying the galcom station. After it was destroyed there was a huge explosing then the game crashed. Btw, I've did this 3 times now and each time it produced the same result, a crash. I am running my resolution at 1028x768 and everything is set to 32 bit. This bug is repeatable. Thats all i can say really.

Melanie650, did you find out which version of Mediaplayer you have? I had the same problem in the demos, till I realised I had an older version of Mediaplayer and it wasn't playing some explosion .avis. A way to test this is to go to the folder which contains the explosions (don't remember where) and try and play them separately. If they won't play, it's probably your Mediaplayer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest Melanie650

Btw.. this bit of information may help too for those who are trying to get this bug to repeat on their computer.

I'm playing a Terran Female using a heavy carrier ship BATTLECRUISER MK2, starting off at galcom station. I launch all 4 fighters, order them to attack the station. And I come in extremely close to the station. That distance counter thingy reads 9. Then I turn on my passive systems and I also fire with my main guns while launching missles. When the station blows up. There's a huge explosion then I crash to the windows desktop. Btw my game settings are 1028 x 768 while my windows desktop settings are 800 x 600. LOL I'm probably annoying the SC with this long post and I apologise.. For what it's worth.. I luv the game. These bugs just keep crashing me to the desktop.

Also my system specs are

Pentium 4 1.5 GHZ

512 Megs of RDRAM ECC

GeForce2 Ultra

DirectX 8.1

Latest Detonator drivers

SoundBlaster Live Value

I know i'm getting repetative but I also know that the more information you can provide, the better chance that the bug will be found. =)

Tried the same thing myself attacked the station it blew up and i wasn't looking in the direction of the explosion and it crashed to desktop. Do not know if it's related or not.

I was a terrian Military Commander, on roam. In a darkstar (i think sorry i'm new). I sent my fighters to attacked, then closed in with my main weapon. Fired a salvo of shots off, turned around and heard an explosion. When the explosion was finished it crashed to desktop. I saw a little of it as a came about to starboard.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Conscript ]

OK, I've reproduced and fixed this one. Its related to the orbital code. The station is in orbit and thats why it doesn't happen when other objects blow up. It should also happen on an ODS or space supply station actually.

I am going to investigate some other problems already reported and which are clear for me to understand. Once I do, if they are reproducible, there will be a fix released later today. It won't be the final 1.0.01 patch since its not fully cooked yet, but this particular problem is a CAT 1 classification.

quote:

Originally posted by The Mule:

[QB]Hi Derek-

Sorry, dont mean to be a pain in the butt, but....

/QB]

uhm, you're not being a pain. In fact, you followed procedure by giving as much info as possible. Thats great.

OK, from what I can tell, if you can't even start a new game, then its definitely a hardware problem - especially with all those components you have.

Try these for me please.

1. Use Add/Remove to uninstall the game. Then kill the folder.
  2. Re-install and leave the default folder alone
  3. Install the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers
  4. Install nVidia 21.83 WHQL drivers
  5. Lower the performance tab on your sound (in multimedia properties) and video card (in display properties)
  6. Try running an IA scenario
  7. If that works, try SNG

Once I've got a response to the above, if you are still having problems, I'll get out the big guns and we'll go on a search and destroy mission. I just love hardware issues.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest The Mule

Okay Derek and others, thanks for the replies. I will give them a shot. I'll post results here when I am done.

I forgot to mention that I am using Media Player 7 which I believe ships with Windows ME anyway....

I saw this post and realized that I could have been reading mine. I have pretty much the EXACT same spec that he does:

1 ghz Thunderbird w/VIA chipset

768 MB ram

Windows ME

GeForce 3

SB live value

I've installed the latest bios upgrades for the VIA chipset, I've got Detonator 21.83, and the latest DirectX.

The game crashes almost randomly. When I leave a vehicle. When something blows up. When I just fly around for awhile, etc.

I am actually going to go out and get Windows XP today and reformat my machine. It's long overdue. I'll let you know if this solves my problem.

Ian

quote:

Originally posted by Erithtotl:

I saw this post and realized that I could have been reading mine. I have pretty much the EXACT same spec that he does:

1 ghz Thunderbird w/VIA chipset

768 MB ram

Windows ME

GeForce 3

SB live value

I've installed the latest bios upgrades for the VIA chipset, I've got Detonator 21.83, and the latest DirectX.

The game crashes almost randomly. When I leave a vehicle. When something blows up. When I just fly around for awhile, etc.

I am actually going to go out and get Windows XP today and reformat my machine. It's long overdue. I'll let you know if this solves my problem.

Ian

*sigh*

Though you were planning on running XP, you shouldn't have to do that just for this. Anyway, carry on. We will try to isolate the problem using Mule as a guinea pig.

Guest Melanie650

Hmmm.. Well soo far the things me, Erithtotl, and The Mule have in similar as far as are systems goes is we all have huge amounts of ram and me and Erithtotl are both using Windows ME.

Guest The Mule

Derek-

I did everything you mentioned (and ONLY what you mentioned) in order.

I tried an IA mission without touching any of the settings, and it worked fine.

Then I tried turning off the music (I always turn off the music in all games) and running at 1024x768 (I play most games at this res if not higher). Got the same problems described in my above post again. Then I set res down to 800x600, same thing, crashes and lockups. Then I set it back to 640x480 and I get the same problems in that res now too. I have gotten an error messge though,

Ddhelp has caused an error in NVDD32.DLL. Ddhelp will now close.

then my system locks.

Oh and Melanie, I too am running WinME.

Thats part of the nVidia driver set. Nothing I can do about it.

Sorry.

Locate stable Visiontek drivers and find the ones which work.

I suppose you've checked your BIOS settings according to the FAQ as well, right?

Guest The Mule

I am not sure I understand your question....

I am running DX8.1 and they are all running fine. When I was running DX8.0 they were all running fine. None of them are DX8.1 dependant, but they are all compatible with DX8.1...so does that mean they are all compliant with DX8.1 as well?

This includes older games such as Starsiege and games I bought yesterday at EB such as Aquanox, Wolfenstein, IL-2, and Empire Earth.

Oh well, not the end of the world...dont sweat it.

quote:

Originally posted by The Mule:

I am not sure I understand your question....

I am running DX8.1 and they are all running fine. When I was running DX8.0 they were all running fine. None of them are DX8.1 dependant, but they are all compatible with DX8.1...so does that mean they are all compliant with DX8.1 as well?

This includes older games such as Starsiege and games I bought yesterday at EB such as Aquanox, Wolfenstein, IL-2, and Empire Earth.

Oh well, not the end of the world...dont sweat it.

All those games are DX 7. Wolf is OpenGL.

The point I'm making is that if there is a driver and DX8 issue, I can't fix it. As you've seen, problems WITH the game, which are reproducible, can be fixed. I can't fix (a) what I can't reproduce (B) hardware problems.

Your original report reeks of a hardware problem and I simply can't into that right now. At the moment, my focus is on game related issues and getting a patch out asap (hopefully before I got to bed or first thing in the morning) and then I can spend as much time on hardware (and the odd wild goose chase) as possible. As you have seen, there have been several false alarms which I spent time on. Thats time take away from fixing actually game problems. See the problem?

Guest Melanie650

Hey The Mule.. You might wanna try vandal's idea. I did it and the game has been stable ever since. Meaning it hasn't crashed in the last 20 minutes or so. Wanna give it a more rigorous test but soo far no crash. But that Vcache thing might be acting up. Not gonna say it's stable yet but soo far so good =)

Guest Melanie650

Oh btw.. I set my Vcache settings to these.

ChunkSize=512

MinFileCache=16384

MaxFileCache=65536

Hope this works for you.. So far it has worked for me but i'm not ready to say it worked yet =). I'm gonna play for 2 to 3 hours straight and if no crash. Maybe it has worked.

Btw SC, I need a little clarification. You said that with Soback's help you were able to isolate this problem. And I wanna know, does this mean that on certain routes your traveling on the navtron, that some routes may cause a crash? Just Wondering.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Melanie650 ]