Jump to content
3000AD Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Supreme Cmdr

BCG - Reality Check

Recommended Posts

The one thing that will make me happy in BCG, is the improved ground based attention. BCM has the ship combat down great, except for the immediate stopping of ships, which has already been said. I'm just wondering the following...

1)Will OC's has moving componets? Like turrets, wheels, ect.

2)Will you really be able to fire your handheld weapon when inside an OC? Some screenshots I saw looked like you could.

3)Will water based crafts be able to interact with the surface at all?

4)Obviously, a submarine can not hyperjump, so do you have to stay in one area, or mission zone?

Thats it, thanks for your time.

[ 06-28-2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Pyromaniac ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by aggressor27:

1) Will the player be able to configure/customize key commands?

2) Will crew (ie Marines) Be able to board or intrude enemy ships via the transporter?

3) Will Commanders be allowed to purchase more fighter/shuttle assets beyond their Carrier's cap?


No

Probably (its on the feature list and NYI. So, it might not make the final cut due to time constraints)

No

quote:


Originally posted by Pyromaniac:

The one thing that will make me happy in BCG, is the improved ground based attention. BCM has the ship combat down great, except for the immediate stopping of ships, which has already been said. I'm just wondering the following...

1)Will OC's has moving componets? Like turrets, wheels, ect.

2)Will you really be able to fire your handheld weapon when inside an OC? Some screenshots I saw looked like you could.

3)Will water based crafts be able to interact with the surface at all?

4)Obviously, a submarine can not hyperjump, so do you have to stay in one area, or mission zone?

Thats it, thanks for your time.


Yes

Probably

Meaning what?

Well, yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Pyromaniac:

The one thing that will make me happy in BCG, is the improved ground based attention. BCM has the ship combat down great, except for the immediate stopping of ships, which has already been said. I'm just wondering the following...

1)Will OC's has moving componets? Like turrets, wheels, ect.

2)Will you really be able to fire your handheld weapon when inside an OC? Some screenshots I saw looked like you could.

3)Will water based crafts be able to interact with the surface at all?

4)Obviously, a submarine can not hyperjump, so do you have to stay in one area, or mission zone?

Thats it, thanks for your time.

Yes

Probably

Meaning what?

Well, yeah


I can hear the ocean calling me! In my opinion BC took Elite and made it everything I wanted but Elite failed to deliver. Now with the marine units in BCG, it's set to do the same to Carrier Command.

I Can't wait!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a few ideas..

noticed in BCMG gold, that you never could actually reach the Sun. Ie: if you go to mercury, Mercury is all there by itself, but should the Sun be blaring behind it since its so close?

it would be cool if you could orbit the sun, not extremmly close otherwise youd be destroyed.

another Idea. on the Planets the various locations and miltiary abses appear to just be out in the middle of no where with no linking system.

Itd be Kinda cool if they had roads between them, and you could fly over head and watch vehicles travelling from base to base, dropping off supplies

( i know bases have the DJP, but that only works for just people, no? )

my last Idea, was that it would be cool too, if you could stumble onto planets whos societies werent advaced: IE:

you land on a planet, to discover tis civilization has not yet atteinted the technolgoy to travel far into space etc..

Sort of like, if some Alien Civlization came to Earth now type of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by FCSN_Perches:

I got a few ideas..


  1. Thats funny, I don't remember asking for any
  2. This is not a wish list thread.
  3. Even so, your ideas add nothing beneficial to the game
  4. BCG has been on a feature freeze for six months and not open to anything new.

You need to read ALL the posts in this thread to get an idea of why this thread exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About that auto save, are you refering to the feature that is already in BCMG, that somehow saves your progress periodically without you having to?

[ 06-28-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: aggressor27 ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are any of the wild, sea life dangerous? IE do you have to watch out for them as well as enemy marines and vehicles?

CWRM

Cadet GalcomHQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just deleted two threads and changed the forum so that only admins can create new topics.

So ladies, please keep all speculative and QA stuff in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has SC decided what the marine screen will look like yet? Is it going to be pretty much the same as the one in BCM? Or will there be something more, uh... graphical bent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Has SC decided what the marine screen will look like yet? Is it going to be pretty much the same as the one in BCM? Or will there be something more, uh...
graphical
bent?


You mean the first person view? If so, like the interface itself, it has all been radically revised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Has SC decided what the marine screen will look like yet? Is it going to be pretty much the same as the one in BCM? Or will there be something more, uh...
graphical
bent?

You mean the first person view? If so, like the interface itself, it has all been radically revised.


I mean PERSCAN / assign marines to ship defense/patrol screen(s). The reason I'm asking is one of the most often stated complaints (from infidels) about BC series is the reliance on text lists to convey information, thus I was kinda wondering if SC has done something about that. Was it still just like existing PERSCAN, or did you went to dots moving in RogueSpear-type 3D wireframes yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

I mean PERSCAN / assign marines to ship defense/patrol screen(s). The reason I'm asking is one of the most often stated complaints (from infidels) about BC series is the reliance on text lists to convey information, thus I was kinda wondering if SC has done something about that. Was it still just like existing PERSCAN, or did you went to dots moving in RogueSpear-type 3D wireframes yet?


ah, I see. Nope. Haven't touched it and probably won't. Perscan works well and does a good job. I do have a new interface called PerTrak in my design docs but it remains untouched. It was to be a top/down schematic view of the ship and which only shows icons for personnel as they move through the ship. The problem is that its going to be a lot of work (since there are multiple decks) for just info. And since you can send orders in Tactical already, there was no point in adding - yet another - interface to the game. So, this feature is actually #3 on my cut list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn; PerTrak sounded really cool. Is there no way to make a just four panes each one the appropriate deck? But just have it info and not another interface. Tacscan does the same thing with dots and that works great.

But I love Perscan I really do. I have died because I was enjoying watching my marines fight off intruders and not paying attention to the outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PerTrak? Isn't that the system in the operationsroom, between Mr Coffee and the machine that does "ping"?

You know, the one that Resnig should operate when dispatching "his" marines.He did confiscate the manual, but we all know he can't read it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Darn; PerTrak sounded really cool. Is there no way to make a just four panes each one the appropriate deck? But just have it info and not another interface. Tacscan does the same thing with dots and that works great.


No, thats not possible. You are forgetting the fact that its not just dots on a screen. Its dots in the correct location. If you see a dot in, e.g. engineering and moves out of there into the corridor en route to operations, you have to track that on the schematic. And when that dot goes from one deck to another, you have to do the same thing.

Then there's the issue of how many captial ships (and transports) there are. Well, go count them. Each one would need a set of four deck schematics. Too much work. Too little benefit. Adds nothing to the game - that isn't already there - except one more interface.

And I'm out of time and quite bored with this BCG project already. All the challenges I once faced when I started out, are gone. All gone. Now its just a matter of time and resources.

And thats the reason why I even considered doing BCO so that I don't have to piss around for two years - and a ton of money - on a single project. Its just not fun anymore. And I've said this already.

If this were BCO we were talking about, then putting in stuff won't be a big deal because there aren't any deadlines to worry about, resources etc etc because it is an MMOG project which, in itself, can be in a perpetual state of advancement. As long as there are subscribers to fund it.

In fact, we've been working on the XBox project for about two months (pre-production was about four) now and I need to get this [bCG] over with so that I can focus my full attention to that. It is a new challenge and while a lot, lot smaller in scope than any BC game, it is a lot of fun and quite challenging.

quote:


Originally posted by DREADA:

Feelings are mutual. Since there's no BCTC now, I was thinking all's not lost as we'd still get PerTrak - the closest we were going to get (until BCO?) to a graphical view of what goes on inside ships. Oh well...


I fail to see the connection between BCTC and PerTrack. Maybe because there is none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Then there's the issue of how many captial ships (and transports) there are. Well, go count them. Each one would need a set of four deck schematics. Too much work. Too little benefit. Adds nothing to the game - that isn't already there - except one more interface.

And a much greater level of immersion (for me at least) since "my" ship would have a (standard for its class) defined deck plan.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

And I'm out of time and quite bored with this BCG project already. All the challenges I once faced when I started out, are gone. All gone. Now its just a matter of time and resources.

And thats the reason why I even considered doing BCO so that I don't have to piss around for two years - and a ton of money - on a single project. Its just not fun anymore. And I've said this already.

I hope you didn't really mean that. If the SC is no longer enthused by BCG, what hope have we mere mortals who haven't even seen it yet?

Seriously, I think I know just what you mean - once a project gets to the point where there is no creativity and it is just a grind to get it implemented, the fun goes away. I just hope support doesn't go the same way once BCG is live. I can't wait, although I will need a major hardware upgrade to run it (and have a wife to convince!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Richard:

Seriously, I think I know just what you mean - once a project gets to the point where there is no creativity and it is just a grind to get it implemented, the fun goes away. I just hope support doesn't go the same way once BCG is live. I can't wait, although I will need a major hardware upgrade to run it (and have a wife to convince!).


Its not that. I mean, BCG will be the fifth title in the series. And after 14+ years of the same franchise, I mean, who wouldn't want a break?

Why would support go away? We're still supporting even BCM, which was released back in 2001. Support has nothing to do with this. I'm just tired of it. The XBox project presents a clean break and BCO will always be there for when I need a Battlecruiser fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Why would support go away? We're still supporting even BCM, which was released back in 2001. Support has nothing to do with this. I'm just tired of it. The XBox project presents a clean break and BCO will always be there for when I need a Battlecruiser fix.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that support would go away. My hope is that support issues would rekindle your enthusiasm for BCG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Richard:

My hope is that support issues would rekindle your enthusiasm for BCG.


Highly unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we can double our efforts at making up problems for you to investigate and fix. You'll always be a BC junkie SC! Don't act like you can break the habit!

;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If BCG is as cool as it looks then I have already bought it in my mind so that means the 1% of me that is my body is going to be forced by the other 99% of me which is my mind to go and buy it in the physical world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by XOR:

If BCG is as cool as it looks then I have already bought it in my mind so that means the 1% of me that is my body is going to be forced by the other 99% of me which is my mind to go and buy it in the physical world

Okaaaaaaay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by XOR:

If BCG is as cool as it looks then I have already bought it in my mind so that means the 1% of me that is my body is going to be forced by the other 99% of me which is my mind to go and buy it in the physical world


uhm, , ok then LOL!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×