Universal Combat SE Demo Released!

For more info, please read the press release.

We have also released a demo for the game. It should start showing up on the usual mirrors throughout the day. Check the game downloads page which will be updated with links as they become available.

For more info on the demo, please read the demo tutorial file located on the game downloads page.

Due to the large size of the full demo, we have created two separate versions.

The 500MB version is the full self-contained demo.

The 90MB version is for those who already own a copy of the previous Universal Combat A World Apart game. To use this version, simply clone your UCAWA game folder. Then copy this file into that folder and execute it. Upon completion, you can then create a shortcut to the UCSE.EXE file to execute the demo. The commandline parameters are the same as those for UCAWA.

The keyboard commands and demo tutorial PDF files are contained in the DOCS folder.

[ 07-18-2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Due to the revised engines (especially on the planet), most of you running antique HW shouldn't even bother to download this demo or even buy the game. The game adheres strictly to the system requirements and with the Config settings at their minimum.

e.g. go tinkering around in Config (e.g. with planetary clouds, lighting etc) and you'll be lucky to see the brighter side of 10fps when running intense scenarios such as IA0007 or IA0008.

Speaking of which, when running either of those scenarios. You can run into the base, go prone, and watch what is going on. You may need to take out the odd NPC marine who will still see you if they have line-of-sight. You may want to run with the /i invincibility cheat activated or you won't last more than a few mins.

quote:

Originally posted by JimBriskin:

An excelent demo.

Hi Jim. Welcome to our [crazy] corner of the Net

So, is this your first BC/UC game? What did you like about it/demo?

quote:

The only problem I found is you forgot the Pilot_male model and texture, which causes a crash if the PSP player exits their craft.

Oh...this was on the full download.

Oh?

Anyway, that mission doesn't require you to exit your craft and go running around with a peashooter. Thats why I left it out. heh, what was I thinking?

The EFM uses the male model and the PSP uses the female model.

You can fix it if you have UCAWA (or its demo).

Copy the following files over from UCAWA to the UCSE demo folders of the same name.

1. .MODELSTEXTURESPILOT_MALE*.*
  2. .MODELSANIMATEPILOT_MALE*.*

This doesn't affect the patch demo version since it uses all UCAWA files (which include that missing model).

btw, the main menu image used in the demo is just a placeholder. The final one wasn't ready in time for the demo.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

heh, so you actually played it then? Without cheating?

uhm, yeah I never cheat. No profit in it.

Besides, I loathe liars and thieves. And a cheater is a liar and a thief all rolled into one.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, space looks a little better in UCSE due to some new lighting. Also, now all the crafts (fighters, shuttles, vehicles etc) have specular maps. In UCAWA, only cap ships and stations had them.

The D2D version has already been submitted for protection. Once I get it back and build the installer, it will be ready to roll. We're shooting for this week sometime.

ok good news. I think I will play over all the campagnes again during vacation. should be alot of fun!

oh the scenario as the marine during the strike at the base is so cool, man this game will be so much fun when it goes permanantly online, seeing that cap ship rain death down upon the base. I think I saw some beams coming from the base too, do bases have turrets as well? Never noticed. Guess I haven't spent enough time assaulting bases first hand. I stick to orbit

Oh, for a decent video card, no one have an AGP X800 AGP going spare, do they? IÔÇÖll just have to have all the video options on minimum and enjoy the full beauty via other peopleÔÇÖs screenshots.

Played the naval carrier defence scenario, and long run as both a commander and EFP.

Staying alive and racking up some kills isnÔÇÖt too hard if IÔÇÖm careful, but that firestorm is just too fragile and itÔÇÖs crew seem to lose the will to live all too quickly . IÔÇÖll give it another go or two and concentrate more on defending the ship.

Tried another couple of times, last time I jumped to lyrius before I even got my orders, but before my hyperdrive engines recharged when I arrived in Lyrius (2 minutes into the mission, 30 seconds before it was theoretically possible for me to even arrive near the ship I'm supposed to be protecting, let alone attack the fighter that was going after it), the Warcry was already dead. I think the longest I've seen it last was 4-5 minutes. I destroyed all the capital craft in the region and got my EP into the positive again, but it juts doesn't seem possible to stop it getting killed, maybe you just need a lot of luck for it to last until you can arrive and affect the outcome. I'll give it another couple of goes tomorrow maybe, time for bed now.

Actually you can stop it from getting killed. When you launch, don't spend time admiring the scenery. Just jump.

And when you reach the jump gate, don't rely on the A/P to do the jump. It takes too long. Do it manually by pressing and holding the thrust button. You'll go fast if you have full power in Logistix.

I played a couple of hours the space scenario and a couple of planetside ones.

Great work BOSS! The graphic is really improved and I liked very much the forward turret of the support craft that is really aiming at the target.

One thing thoug, it is aiming at the location of the target, not leading the shot to the lead marker so it is impossible to hit something that is moving.

Nice work however on some pretty eye candy over there.

That was actually in the EFP version, jumping immediately (within 5 seconds of deploying) and manually flying as fast as possible into the region. Fighters were already on their way to the warcry, and destroyed it before I could even jump there (21:02, two minutes into the mission). Next time I tried it, there was no problem getting there in time. It's unpredictable how quickly enemy fighters attack the Warcry. With that neural net AI, no scenario is exactly the same twice

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

With that neural net AI, no scenario is exactly the same twice

Apart from that, the predictability also goes out the window depending on what type of fighters are launched. Faster fighters will of course intercept Warcry faster.