BCM Gold review @ Game Cronicles - Does this guy have something against SC?!

Gamolon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where to start... the sheer ineptitude of this guy.

1: the video playback thing is listed in the FAQ with how to solve the problem. I think it has to do with Microsoft removing the codecs....

2: somehow I thought that Privateer was a good classic freeform game and that Freelancer didn't turn out too badly either. I guess he didn't like those games either since "everything else[in BCMG]" is just like them.

3: If you are running for a long time on a flat plain and find yourself alone... wait wrong movie.

anyway I think he needs to check his waypoints or transporter control because I don't seem to have problems landing in bases.

Of couse consideing that is is an ENTIRE PLANET I would guess there would be open areas.

4: of course it can be complicated controling a capital ship... that is why it is a SIM not an ARCADE SHOOTER.

5: so we are just sheeple that blindly follow whatever offerings the almighty mircrosoft deems worthy to foist upon its unwary "beta team?"

And this is a GOOD thing?

6: +++++++++++++++++++++ (battlecruiser) + (fighter) and you wonder WHY you didn't see them? I'm guessing you didn't see stray lasers because they all hit you.

7: Is it really so difficult to give someone credit for a good idea?

I guess it is time to say hello to shirly and company.

EDIT: I think I'm either bored or procraatinating because I have no idea why I wasted 20 min reading and writing that commentary.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

That wasn't even a review. And its not worth the aggravation of even being angry. It speaks for itself. In volumes.

I agree 100%. I read that this morning and was shocked that somebody would publish that. Let's face it, that error message when you first start the game may not be the best first impression (I excitedly loaded up the game as soon as I finished installing it, my first instinct wasn't to read the FAQ)... ok, but this review just used that as a launching platform for an ad hominem attack.

Personally, it seems like the reviewer started the game, got immediately frustrated, didn't like SC to begin with for some reason, and quit. Then, like a true professional, the reviewer put his extremely emotional thoughts to paper and gave us the poetry that is his review. Luckily the Editor stepped in and very professionally one-upped his reviewer's jack-assism.

Serious, SC, when are you finally going to learn your lesson and make a BMX XXX version of BC for the "rest of us?"

By the way, check out scores for other games. It seems obvious that BCMG was doomed to be mistreated (hey, I even liked Freelancer, but come on).

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Well i dont agree. That *Beep* pisses me off. There are people that are going to read that. I found it from a link at Bluesnews for crying out loud.

That was some of the most horrid bunch of crap i have ever seen. Then the editor guy comes on at the bottom and slams it even worse.

This kind of crap is unacceptable. PERIOD. I am so completely sick of complete Jerkoffs getting away with posting *beep* like that you cant even imagine. They *beep* do not even address any of the aspects of the game. Completely Trashes the game play without ever talking about what it actually offers. The crap about video drivers etc is just pure BS.

Look i can understand turning the other cheek. But this guy needs a Daily Ass Whipping for about a month. Pathetic.

everyone can have their own opinion... i dont care... if u dont like what they say dont read it, or you can write to the writers about it...

i agree with them about learning the game, it is complex and takes a while to learn. But it was FUN learning it, and i liked when i tried new things.

And i also am very tired of running around on emptyness, a bridge or river might be nice...

but the game is just really fun, and will only get MORE fun.

and its time that you learn that there are ALOT of people that have something against SC.

Dont know? Do a google search for "Derek Smart" if you feel you are too happy and want to get mad and hate people

just ignore them and they will go away

and if that wont work BURN THEM !!!!

ummm...

anyway...

That so-called "review" doesn't have one thing to do with either Derek or BCMG. It's all about the author, who is clearly some teenager who thinks having read Usenet makes him look cool and in-the-know to his readership. In other words, he thinks Smart-bashing will earn him points with the even-stupider-than-he-is crowd...and he's probably right. So what?

The proper way to look at the whole episode is as an exercise in recreational Darwinism: morons obligingly weeding themselves and their ilk out from our presence. The thing to fear, really, is the day these morons ever actually get a clue and come knocking on the door, asking to be let in. Yuck.

*sigh*

Here we go again...

This is ridiculous. When will these people ever let off. I love what he said about gameplay. Just because his head is so small that he can't figure out what he wants to do and instead thinks he's supposed to do something he gives the game a poor grade?

Sigh, simple minded people shouldn't be on computers. Derek, I've got a good solution for these jokes; port to linux, then only people who have decent brains will be able to play.

And for those of you who don't understand linux, its not much harder than Windows at all once you get it set up. Try the latest [a href=http://www.redhat.com]Redhat Linux[/a] for one of the easiest builds of linux I've used.

Seriouly though (I know you will never port to linux SC), I think this is just a bunch of bs we should let no steam off at.

So, my reply. We moon them and get on with it.

The guy obviously doesn't have the brains to figure out a game of this scope and is mad and insulted that someone would dare to put together something that his tiny brain can't grasp! He probably still has his mommy walk him accross the street.

Hmmmm...Can't get to the link now

I posted this link as I felt it was more of a personal vendetta against Derek than it was a game review. What a phallushead that guy is. It's one thing to write a review based on your opinion, but it's another when it contains what seems like personal attacks. He can go suck farts out of a bus seat for all I care. His site has not one iota of credibility with me anymore, not that it ever did. This may not mean to much to you Derek, but keep up the great work. The game, in my opinion, is a masterpiece based on it's ambitious scope alone.

Zippy

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

And i also am very tired of running around on emptyness, a bridge or river might be nice...

I have no idea how a bridge or river has anything to do with "emptiness". And the planetary regions do have rivers, oceans etc etc. You, like that twit, obviously have NO idea what you're talking about.

And the planetary regions are specifically populated with areas of interest, just like it says in the manual. i.e. mzones. And those mzones have bases and cities - scenes. Nobody told you to go running out in the wild. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Thats the WHOLE point of a massive expanse.

If you don't know what you talking about STFU and sit down. Posting unfounded rubbish doesn't make you look cool, it can only get you banned. And thats got nothing to do with opinions. Its about ignorance.

Now, just shut up. Please.

[ 06-13-2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I did a search on Google as you suggested TheBunny and in my opinion your claim is garbage. There is this "Huffman" character who came up in the majority of my searches. Then of course I found Bo DEREK references and was completely sidetracked...

Why does it matter what others think anyway? Everyone can make their own judgment based on their own experiences. I don't need some lemming to help me.

Zippy

They should rename that site from "Computer Game Chronicles" to "Computer Lame Chronicles". It's obvious neither of those guys has the mental faculties to even begin to understand the complexities of BC.

In an age where so many people complain about the sacrifice of gameplay for graphics it's a shame that comments like theirs have the capacity to turn people away from the prime example of gameplay over finesse.

BC is truly a diamond in the rough, a "real" computer game that rightly deserves it's spot among the classics of all time.

I don't have any complaints about BC because I "get it". It has accomplished something that so many have promised but have miserably failed to deliver.

I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on games over the years, but I can think of no other game that actually delivered on all the hype. BC kicks ass and so does Derek Smart.

Well I read the first couple of lines and then closed it down. Yes people are entitled to their opinions but they should be unbiased and informed. Not close minded and judgemental.

How he can complain about a problem that is well documented on the forums here and in fact had nothing to do with SC(The intro not playing) means that he really did not bother. If he had bothered he would have found a community more than willing to offer support and assistance.

I'm going to stop now as that person is not worth wasting any more of my (or anyone else's) time on.

Didn't read it don't have to, I have the game. The possibilities in this game are endless, and look how far this series has come and yet to go.

If I did not like this game it would have been shelved already. You want reviews, then just read the comments from those that post to this forum, their written by people that actually play the game.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Gordon:

Didn't read it don't have to, I have the game. The possibilities in this game are endless, and look how far this series has come and yet to go.

If I did not like this game it would have been shelved already. You want reviews, then just read the comments from those that post to this forum, their written by people that actually
play
the
game

Exactly!

quote:

Originally posted by Rm:

*picks up his jaw off the floor*

I'm pretty sure that counts as libel. Get your lawyer to give him a call SC, his boss might have deep pockets

Not gonna bother. Dreamcatcher said they were going to handle it and that I should just ignore it.