Mobile Forward Base - concept to completion

Supreme Cmdr

There was a discussion over in this other thread about the MFB.

Here is it from concept to completion and in-game integration. I will release some higher res shots next week when Jason completes the Intruder gunship.

The MFB is mobile (as you might have gathered) and can be driven and parked anywhere - including under water. It serves the same function as a regular station or base in that it has cargo space, units, repair, rearm, medical facilities (like the supply stations) etc.

It has a built-in regenerating Area Defense Shield (ADS) which protects anything within its sphere of protection (when activated). This means that you can pretty much be within the sphere (will post shots when the fx are implemented) and give the hostiles standing outside it (and probably firing at you) the finger.

.....until they breach it. hehe

Only shuttles and the Marauder gunship can tow it It cannot be stored in the cargo hold because its too big, measuring 15.0m H x 23.16m W x 55.71m L

And to prevent that problem of crazy gamers grabbing this baby and running all over the planet with it, each side only has one - and you can't drive it unless you have the prrequisite rank (from EPs and kills).

I suspect that you'd be playing on a server for about an hour or so before you even come close to gaining enough rank (via EPs and kills) to drive it. This means that whereever I place it on the map, is where its likely to remain for sometime.

Of course devs/testers with proper server access can override this and take control of it.

So, gamers are going to have to defend it even thought its twin turret guns and missile launchers are AI controlled. It has no shield (except for the ADS which does the same thing I guess), only 15000 units of armor protection and goes at a slow pace of 30 mps with a PRY rating of 1,1,25 deg/sec

This unit does NOT rebuild. So, lose it and you'll have to wait until an engineer (personnel or marine) player repairs it. Oh? there are no engineers on the server? Well then, I guess someone is going to be committing suicide and respawn as an engineer class then.

MFB 1

MFB 2

MFB 3

MFB 4

MFB 5

MFB 6

MFB 7

MFB 8

MFB 9

How large is the sphere of protection? Can you shoot out of it from inside? What color is it? If they touch it do they get thrown back, zapped, or joy buzzered ? Would be funny to see the base mowing down enemy marines with the shield on heh.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

will ther be an animation for that finger thing?

Yes. It will be a new gesture in BCG

In fact BCM has several mp gesturing animations. See for example the character .INI files in the modelsanimate folder to see the list.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

How large is the sphere of protection?

Not sure yet, but it would be large enough to cover the entire MFB as well as leave area around it for units (personnel or whatever) that happen to be outside on the terrain.

So, imagine being chased by a bunch of hostile goons and you're hightailing it back to the MFB. All you'd need to do is enter its ADS area of protection and you'll be safe.

quote:

Can you shoot out of it from inside?

No. Except from that ramp portion you see. Entering the MFB is the same as entering a station/base (ALT+D to dock). There is no fp view because no internal levels are supported in BCG.

[ 01-10-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Only shuttles and the Marauder gunship can tow it It cannot be stored in the cargo hold because its too big, measuring 15.0m H x 23.16m W x 55.71m L

And to prevent that problem of crazy gamers grabbing this baby and running all over the planet with it, each side only has one - and you can't drive it unless you have the prrequisite rank (from EPs and kills).

Well, at 30mph I can't imagine I would want to drive it anyway, just pick it up with a shuttle and go.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

will ther be an animation for that finger thing?

Yes. It will be a new gesture in BCG

In fact BCM has several mp gesturing animations. See for example the character .INI files in the modelsanimate folder to see the list.

ok, the ultimate gesture of defiance.

send, your RANDOM LOL

quote:

How large is the sphere of protection?

Not sure yet, but it would be large enough to cover the entire MFB as well as leave area around it for units (personnel or whatever) that happen to be outside on the terrain.

So, imagine being chased by a bunch of hostile goons and you're hightailing it back to the MFB. All you'd need to do is enter its ADS area of protection and you'll be safe.

quote:

Can you shoot out of it from inside?

No. Except from that ramp portion you see. Entering the MFB is the same as entering a station/base (ALT+D to dock). There is no fp view because no internal levels are supported in BCG.

ok I guess I better rephrase the question

If BCG has some of the TC Components *Like you sead in one of your posts* Then why are we unable to go inside the MFB? I mean where able to walk around stations and other capital ships.. why not the MFB?? or am I missing something *please answer this question please*

I can't wait to blast an enemy shuttle then swoop down to capture their MFB in my ships tractor beams, flying off into space with it laughing the whole way! MUWAHAHAHAHAH! Of course that big turret would probably enjoy chewing at my tail end while I did so!

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

What was it you were going to say about those posts Wolferz you forgot to include your comment.

Yeah, he has a habit of posting incorrectly formatted posts and then not correcting them.

With the new forum software, I'm not sure that he can edit it after some period anyway.

Wolf, edit that damn post!

quote:

I can't wait to blast an enemy shuttle then swoop down to capture their MFB in my ships tractor beams, flying off into space with it laughing the whole way! MUWAHAHAHAHAH! Of course that big turret would probably enjoy chewing at my tail end while I did so!

I'm confused, what did I do wrong?

please forgive an old commander who only has half a brain left

quote:

quote:

I'm confused, what did I do wrong?

please forgive an old commander who only has half a brain left

Read your post above and you'll see the obvious formatting problem with it.