Multiplayer patch status

The RC8 patch will have a boatload of mp fixes/tweaks (the newly revised chat/comms system is going to make you folks cry out loud).

Once the mp exe is stable enough, I'm going to put up two fleet servers for stress testing, then continue wrapping up the remaining single player issues before wrapping up the final mp issues.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got nothing important to add, but i feel i must say that it is very good to see that you really care about fixing your games and keeping the community updated, the continued support is one of the most remarkable things of your company, keep it up and thank you!

well, maybe i really got something to add: it's good to see all that mp stuff forthcoming... you can get really frustrated with multiplayer sometimes, and you can really feel the difference between the retail and the patched verion of the game...all those bugs! they cant stop you from playing the game but heck! dont you hate them!!!

Yeah, mp needs some work, but trust me when I say this, by the end of the 1.00.02 patch, mp will probably be the biggest thing we'll be playing. Just wait.

Hell, I'm going to be setting up servers - which I'm paying for. Now, would I do that if I wasn't confident?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah, mp needs some work, but trust me when I say this, by the end of the 1.00.02 patch, mp will probably be the biggest thing we'll be playing. Just wait.

Hell, I'm going to be setting up servers - which I'm paying for. Now, would I do that if I wasn't confident?

Well if it's even better than RC7, I can't wait. I was on last night with about 5 or 6 guys for a while and it was great, if it wasn't for my wife begging me to go to bed, I would have been on all night!

Were you guys on a LAN or Internet?

Did you guys experience any problems not already listed in the VCF? If so, please open a trouble ticket in the tech support section.

And yes, it IS better than RC7. Its like, lemme think.....like the retail version of the game, is to the RC7 patch. Just wait.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Did you guys experience any problems not already listed in the VCF? If so, please open a trouble ticket in the tech support section.

And yes, it IS better than RC7. Its like, lemme think.....like the retail version of the game, is to the RC7 patch. Just wait.

He was on Prime's test server last night SC on the internet. Along with me, Gordon, Marvin, and a couple others. I took the password protection down and let the public join for awhile.

I'll have to scan through the VCF and look at the doc's I've been taking to see if there's anything I need to report. If so I'll post in the beta forum as soon as my tests are done.

Darkling your more than welcome to post issues you see that are not in the VCF now though. I'll confirm it if there in my doc's.

quote:

The RC8 patch will have a boatload of mp fixes/tweaks (the newly revised chat/comms system is going to make you folks cry out loud).

please consider adding some sort of admin panel like an complete C&C with all racescastes for the server op and the ability to kick players ( it's the internet , jerks are always around a server admin needs to be able to get rid of such pests)

quote:

Originally posted by TheRedComet:

please consider adding some sort of admin panel like an complete C&C with all racescastes for the server op and the ability to kick players ( it's the internet , jerks are always around a server admin needs to be able to get rid of such pests)

I'm not adding any new features to the game. And even if I wanted to add the ability to kick/ban players, it won't work in the console server since it has no menu system. If I do add this, it would be in the graphics server only, since that has a menu.

The Server op can tell who is in the game by looking at his log files or if he also in the game by looking at the Comm Link files. He can determine which race/caste the player has entered as with this information.

As far as keeping "jerks" out of the game just set up a password for the server and that will solve that. My server is behind a firewall and I also have the ability to prevent a player from entering the game by removing his IP from my trusted sites.

quote:

We were on Internet. The only problem that I experienced was when I first tried to join, it kicked me off. I looked on my other computer and realized that there were 2 people playing as Galcom, 1 Vesperian and 1 Gammulan. So I thought that maybe it had to do with the Game Balance being on? Wasn't sure, but I tried going in as Gammulan Instead and I was able to Join.

Any chance of you adding some sort of Game Saving feature, similar to Privateer?

Good to hear you're working on MP, SC. I hope that the next version doesn't crash as easily as RC1-RC7.

Then, we'll just have to round up more players.

EDIT: Oh and I didn't mean that in an inflammatory way. Stabilizing multiplayer code is among the hardest things to do. Anyone who expects a networked game to be rock-stable out of the box with nowadays development cycles is either insane or has no clue what he's talking about.

[ 03-05-2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Fox__Trot

Werewolf - GJ covering yourself >:)

anyways I was just wondering if there are plans for a "stand alone" server that way I can host a server for UC even though I dont have it... any chance on that?

I wasn't trying to cover myself, Fox. It's a known fact that every version up to RC7 crashes at least once a day. Sadly I have to click that damn error message away to have the batch file restart the server.

As for a free dedicated server package, I don't think this would help to alleviate the lack of servers. You don't need the CD in the drive anymore anyway, and the chances of someone donating machines and bandwidth without playing the game himself are close to zilch.

quote:

Originally posted by Werewolf:

I wasn't trying to cover myself, Fox. It's a known fact that every version up to RC7 crashes at least once a day. Sadly I have to click that damn error message away to have the batch file restart the server.

As for a free dedicated server package, I don't think this would help to alleviate the lack of servers. You don't need the CD in the drive anymore anyway, and the chances of someone donating machines and bandwidth without playing the game himself are close to zilch.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with more than one machine connected to his network.

quote:

Originally posted by TheRedComet:

quote:

I know how to get rid of such pests

Sick every player on that server after them, Thats what I do on my Halo server when we have a jerk come in and after awhile they leave (and the game returns to normal, uasally though there is a major blood bath after I say 'ok, he's gone back to normal')

I have made significant progress with the UC mp kernel and its wrapping up soon. I am going to be updating the VCF, later this afternoon.

Once RC8 is released, the other pending fixable single player issues are going to be looked into. RC8 geared primarily toward mp related issues.

For those who want to give the work-in-progress RC8 mp patch a quick whirl, it is now available on the registration page. This is only the ucmp.exe file and the updated vcf which lists whats fixed/pending etc. Just backup your existing file before unzipping this file.

There are several problems unique to this version and they are not listed in the VCF because they are based broken/wip issues that were not present in the previous version.

1. Out of synch packets will cause some objects to appear to spin when targeted or observed. This will eventually clear up when that target changes PRY orientation. The target itself is actually fine, its just its representation that looks wrong to other clients observing it.
  2. After you die and respawn, previous crew damage reports are not flushed completely; so you hear them when you respawn.
  3. After a client dies, there may be a delay before it is removed from the world. During this time, it may still appear on other client radar.
  4. After respawning, you lose sound. To reinit the sound system, go into Frontend or Options, change something and exit.
  5. In fp mode, the position is not updated quickly enough (like the crafts)
  6. Long player/craft name will overflow the edges of the VDD/VID display.
  7. The chat log window system has a few things to do before being completed e.g. the color coding is sometimes incorrect, only 12 lines are displayed instead of the entire log (which can then be scrolled up/down), client/server messages will later no longer go into commlink, but rather will go into the chat system

All in all, I think this is a vast improvement - but as always, your thoughts are welcome. The plan is to complete these issues, release RC8, then work on releasing the first pass of the Vanquish gameplay mode in RC9. RC10 will hopefully be the final sp/mp build before the final 1.00.02 patch is released.

[ 03-18-2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

OK, just got the patch this morning but so far:

1.Console server:started up just fine with no /l3

2.Chat menu:looks good with what little testing I can do by myself.

3.'WASD' chat bleedthrough fixed.

4.First person movement on a planet looks good.

Now ready for some more serious first person activity once internet servers are updated.

Still need to test the 'space to planet'and 'space region to region' transitions with some other players.

ALL in all super job. Thanks for the hardwork!

Edit: just noticed the Shift+Esc now is much more reliable.BTW what are those 2 extra data fields for?

[ 03-19-2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Cc ]

Guest Remo Williams

I have an MP session planed for today with some of the guys in Prime. I did however login to the server this morning just to check out the chat interface. Very nice job SC its a vast improvment. Very easy to read no more having to bring up the comms log to see if you missed a comment. the conversation is right there in front of your face the whole time. Very Cool!

I'll provide more feedback later tonight after we have played awhile.

I'm at work right now but I had my server up last night for several hours. The new chat dialog box is awesome, makes it much easier to see the messages and not miss any.

My server was up for about 4 hours without a single crash. There were some issues that I saw while in the game and have relayed them to Remo for further testing tonight.

All in all the improvments are great!

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

Edit: just noticed the Shift+Esc now is much more reliable.BTW what are those 2 extra data fields for?

SHIFT+ESC was always reliable. The problem is that is monitors the key. So, if you press+hold the key for too long, it won't work. Just a quick SHIFT+ESC tap is all you need.

Those two last values are not time stamps - they are in/out packets for testing purposes and I will remove them in the final build.

OK, I've just deleted two posts.

1. Do NOT post in this thread unless you already have RC8 and have used it, and wish to post comments (NOT bugs)

2. This interim RC8 build is UNSUPPORTED, so please don't send email to tech support because you happened to unzip it to your desktop (yes, you know who you are!) and then wonder why it does not work.