What we (and Activision) learned from Modern Warfare 2

Supreme Cmdr

See, to me the success of MW2 is really bad news. I remember a time where I would buy recent games for half the price you get them nowadays. And all I had to do was input the serial printed on the manual and be done with it. None of that "let's charge 75Ç (I saw Crysis for that price back at release day) and spy on the user's console/computer and shut them down at will".

These days, the only games I buy are indie titles (mount and blade, AI war, Gratuitous space battles..), Derek's games and some decent big publishers' games during the occasional Steam or Impulse limited deals when I could get my hands on a demo (or a pirate copy when I can't get a demo, I must admit).

So far, the only games I still play on a regular basis are Falcon4, UCCE and Starcraft. And I can't see how that would change if the big guys see they can make big money by cheating customers.

See, to me the success of MW2 is really bad news. I remember a time where I would buy recent games for half the price you get them nowadays. And all I had to do was input the serial printed on the manual and be done with it. None of that "let's charge 75Ç (I saw Crysis for that price back at release day) and spy on the user's console/computer and shut them down at will".

These days, the only games I buy are indie titles (mount and blade, AI war, Gratuitous space battles..), Derek's games and some decent big publishers' games during the occasional Steam or Impulse limited deals when I could get my hands on a demo (or a pirate copy when I can't get a demo, I must admit).

So far, the only games I still play on a regular basis are Falcon4, UCCE and Starcraft. And I can't see how that would change if the big guys see they can make big money by cheating customers.

They can't spy on you and shut down your computer at will if you pirate it.

If their gonna make the prices that high, you might as well make it free, because people are gonna make copies, or post torrents on the internet.

Games should be under $45, and not like 75 euros.

Well, just remember that storry ablout Microsoft knocking people out of Xbox live because of modded consoles. Sure some of those people were playing pirated games. Still, some weren't.

Well, just remember that storry ablout Microsoft knocking people out of Xbox live because of modded consoles. Sure some of those people were playing pirated games. Still, some weren't.

Microsoft is a large, corporate company.

They don't give a **** who they're screwing over. If theres 100 modded consoles, and only 10% are pirated, they'll still crack down and ban every one of those dudes. They just lack the care and love of small game companies.

All the bastards want is profit. Look at the xbox 360.

It's poorly built, has alot of glitches, breaks easily, and theres 4 of the consoles out there! Xbox, Arcade, Pro, and Elite.

The last 3 are all the same thing. They just downgrade the software and call it something else. If they can't sell their crappy product for $300, they'll sell an even crappier version for half that.

Large companies like microsoft dont give a ****. All their products are peices of crap, and they dont care about the customers experience.

For example:

THE PC - Peice of ****. Too many bugs. They release a new desktop every few years. Same ****, except they rewired the whole damn thing. Right now, Windows 7 has alot of bugs (Not compatibility)

In a few years, they're gonna be out of the game, because Mac, kicks their ass. Only shitty thing about mac is the mouse and keyboard.

Look at internet explorer, it's already getting replaced with firefox, opera, and some other clients. IE9 or w/e, is just slow, lacks protection and features, and is made by microsoft.

Should i keep going on and on?

Point is, dont buy any **** from Microsoft. They've been in the game way too long, and still are making people feel like crap. Sucks for those guys who modded their consoles. They shouldn't **** with their **** unless they get it straight from the company.

Im getting a PS3.

I have considered switching to Linux. After the scew over known as Winblows Vista. I guess Microshaft decided to go the same route as most of the shovelware publishers... They took Vista and made a few well needed changes and slapped a new name on it (Seven)...And still charging a premium price for the Same Old Shit, just like 99% of game publishers.

What was Activision doing? Counting all of the sales for every iteration of the COD IP? Sounds about right to me.

Don't get me started about the X-Junk consoles. I'm a Darksider with the PS3 now. Those money grubbing bastards in Redmond can blow me!

Modding still violates the user agreement you signed when you started using the software. If people can't read the agreement and FOLLOW IT, then its THEIR fault for being caught and being banned. They have no right to whine or complain about that since it's right there in the agreement that you are not allowed to modify your 360.

Sheesh.. why do people complain about stuff that they aren't supposed to be doing anyway?

Modding still violates the user agreement you signed when you started using the software. If people can't read the agreement and FOLLOW IT, then its THEIR fault for being caught and being banned. They have no right to whine or complain about that since it's right there in the agreement that you are not allowed to modify your 360.

Sheesh.. why do people complain about stuff that they aren't supposed to be doing anyway?

Well, I'm not allowed to do anything illegal, still I'd find it disturbing if my governement was spying on me to make sure I comply.

Same thing.

Now I don't care much as I don't own a console and don't intend to, but you can wonder to what extremities this kind of behavior could lead.

I can agree that the government in general has no right to see what I'm doing; which is probably why I reside behind two firewalls :)

But.... well... I would say more but I'd turn this into a political debate, and I have no desire to do that.

That doesn't hold up in most courts. For starters, you're not even giving a legally binding digital signature (/s/), nor are you giving them your John Hancock. Assuming that a user will abide by an arbitrary agreement that you present to them after they've unboxed the product falls under "Contracts of Adhesion" laws which essentially state you can't make someone sign a contract after they've paid for the product. Still, some courts rule they're alright, but most of these cases have been in extremely conservative states. To add to confusion, some courts rule that there are certain clauses that are enforceable while ruling that others aren't. One mentionable note is that when people appeal high enough (or refuse to pay off the cuff), usually the company trying to enforce the entire EULA will attempt to settle out of court or drop the case entirely. Generally, your state rules in favor of EULAs if it signed UCITA, or if its an extremely conservative state, such as Texas or Georgia, then it will rule 100% in favor of the EULA, where as most other states will only enforce 1 or 2 common clauses.

One of the clauses that the courts have been wishy-washy on is the clause protecting against reverse engineering. A lot of times this is defended by the DMCA since a lot of reverse engineering is for piracy purposes, and unfortunately homebrew/modding gets caught in the crossfire. I think most engineers and developers would love to leave modding as a possibility but there is also a need to protect trade secrets and protect against piracy, because the consumer market is just riddled with piracy. (Although there is a point where you can take it too far as we've all seen and probably experienced.)

But yeah, my 2 cents before this blows totally into a discussion about Politics and the Legal system. I deal too much with that at work to have a drawn out discussion on the internet about it anymore.