BC vets on the newbreed of newbies

Supreme Cmdr

So, what do you vet thinks of the new breed of newbies?

I've seen great promise (and some pretty hilarious humour) from the new breed. They show a lot of promise.

What do you guys think? I like 'em. And so far, I've only banned one (Melanie650) I now know has a pirated copy of the game and temporarily suppressed another's posting rights (Zuul).

Since these guys show such promise, I'm not sure we're going to get the mp fodder we were so looking forward to.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I've seen great promise (and some pretty hilarious humour) from the new breed. They show a lot of promise.

[
snip culling the herd...erm masses
]

Since these guys show such promise, I'm not sure we're going to get the mp fodder we were so looking forward to.

I'll second that. I've had to start using a notebook just to write down all the crazed things I'm reading just so I try some of them out on my own.

As to the MP fodder, only time will tell and even so I'm sure there will be plenty of fresh meat...I mean targets...oh you know what I mean.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

Perfect scenario:

You see four shuttlecraft alone in deep space near a jump gate.

You think to yourself "some stupid newbie lost his shuttles, might as well destroy them"

You jump to the area with your CC, on the way to some other planet.

You hear "there's something out there", right as a megaron decloaks at point blank range and launches all of its missiles it has right into your reactor core.

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Do not understimate the power of newbieness!!!

Actually, the funny breed of newbie was around for a while. (I remember when I was a newbie ) But now, we're getting this new form of "super-n00b" that could give us a run for our money, come multiplayer.

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burning:

Define 'vet' for the BC series

If you have more than 77 posts, for one.

And you were around for the Great BC Depression of 1996-1998.

...and got your ass burned to a crisp, right through the ordeal.

If someone calls you a DS sychophant, you're a BC vet.

You were around playing a BC title back when we used a BBS (Wildcat BBS) system to tranfer files.

I'm sure the other vets can pitch theirs in

quote:

What do you guys think? I like 'em. And so far, I've only banned one (Melanie650) I now know has a pirated copy of the game and temporarily suppressed another's posting rights (Zuul).

These guys seem to have more common sense than past generations. Back when I was a newb (right about the Episode 1 demo), most of us were pretty much, more or less bumbling fools. Heh, I remember leading a fight for Indie Rights back a few months ago..... The word is naive-ness. (If there is such a word. ) That's something that these new BCM newbies don't seem to show a lot of. Which is good.

The new guys are enthusiastic, exhibit some common sense, and they're every bit as crazy as some of us vets here.... *cough*Tac*cough*

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Actually, the funny breed of newbie was around for a while. (I remember when I was a newbie ) But now, we're getting this new form of "super-n00b" that could give us a run for our money, come multiplayer.

Super n00b? Boy, oh boy.... Read this, and you'll understand how I can see newbies from their point of view.... Ouch; I was more pitiful back then, than most newbies I see today. (Read above reply to SC for more.)

Beginners luck never came around to me. It wasn't until I started hanging around the vets, and helping the newbies with info until I actually improved. Then Blades notices my ability to get in touch with newblood, and recruits me to Orion Fleet. The rest is history. Ahh, time goes by so fast.

To tell you the truth, I've only said RTFM probably twice in my entire time on these forums. And that was before I was the NWW you see before you today.

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burning:

A 'vet' is a guy who has made a good name for himself on the Forums. It's basically being well-known for something good, or just being around for a long time. In my case, I'm a vet because of the first rule.

-----

Kneel before my feet, for I am a moderator!!! Be amazed at my incredibly vast knowledge, and my Newbie Welcome Wagon-ness!!!! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

(Edit: I'm still feeling the moment after my promotion...... Yeah, um, I think I'll head off to bed now...)

(Edit2: Post 888!!!! w00t!!! ....Alright, so it probably isn't anything special.... Read the first edit, and understand that I'm high off of medpacks rightnow....)

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

These n00bs dont know the tricks that vets do, and I ain't tellin' them either

But then again they haven't had the full BC series experience either, just a taste; i.e. until recently patches did not wipe out previously saved gaves

Nor have they had the fun of trying to script their own ACMs. I can hear the n00bs' curses and their ponding on desktops when/if they play my ACM

But yes, the current batch of new BCM players do show promise. I banned several, deleted a plethora of SNQ, answered most queries without using the old RTFM. Once they got use to how this forum was ran and made the necessary adjustments, attitude, content, etc., they fit right in with the rest of us.

quote:

Kneel before my feet, for I am a moderator!

Easy cometh, easy goeth Nova. Being a moderator is completely different.

MP will be a blast Who'll be the biggest target besides the SC?

TTFN

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

All right Nova, just because you got promoted doesn't mean you can triple your medpack consumption rate. I'll be going back to my vacpacks now. Ahhh, vacpacksssssss..........

Urza falls to the floor, and the medics haul him down to medibay

quote:

I like them. Most of them at least. We have the usual come in, get your fix and leave, which is fine. Then the unknown lurkers. Fine as well. Then the come in and participate kind of guys. Those are my favorite.

I read the tech forums for two weeks solid when the game first came out. First were the "game won't run" kind of posts then the real bugs started coming in. I was amazed. These guys were trying stuff and seeing stuff this tired old brain of mine never thought to try and stuff these tired old eyes never saw.

I like 'em. Can we keep 'em?

quote:

Derek has hollered at you at least three times.

You are still here.

You know what an airlock is.

You know where they are.

One has your name on it.

You know what a workaround is.

You know why Resnig is hated.

You know the difference between a feature and a bug.

You can fly from Earth to Polaris without Navitron.

You remember the forum before this one.

You remember the "Name Your Ship!" thread.

You are still using that ship name.

You registered last century.

That's all I can think of for now.

I'm a NewB, but only to this site. I have a BC3K game I have been battleing on for over a year. I have the original version of BC3kad from 1996. I didn't even know this site was here until I bought version 2.0 BC3K. All you Vets seem really cool to me, and you have a wealth of information. I've read all of the rules for the site and am trying to be carful not to anger anyone but if I make a mistake I'm sure SC will cut me off at the knee caps. A lot of good reading on this site, Thanks.

Unlike my Displayed Name implies sometimes I'm kind of slow.

I second Chavik's points RE: Veteranship.

You remember the Name your Vessel thread on the old forum.

You remember who started the Name your Vessel thread on the old forum.

If you have a new ship, your old ship was lost role-playing in the First Gammulan War.

Going back even further...*grin*.

You remember the original ship database on the old BC3K site (that's years and years).

You remember the formation of the first fleet, and can name that fleet, and can name what happened to it.

You can remember when the first Insurgent players appeared. We were all hurt and dismayed, Unca Rattler...*grin*.

I no longer have my name on an airlock. I permanently play as a SF marine, just in case...

Airlock, what airlock? Where is the airlock? oops, that's right, it's behind me and I'm about to explode from vacuum exposure.

Damn, what'd I do that time?

I better get this suit on QUICK!!!

I think you're right, got some good ones on board, and more are on the way. I especially like Captain Dread, but it's his political thinking that I like, we'll see how it goes with mp!!

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

The newbies are nice. Most seem to be getting really into the game and will be sticking around forever, while some will inevitably become washouts. You can tell the ones that are really good when they stop posting silly questions and either start helping the newcomers settle or start RPing or telling stories. I feel kinda sorry for Zuul though, it seemed he was starting to come around.

Noobs?

Looks like a fine batch, including me.

I'm still new by the real veterans standards, but don't let that fool you. The noobs appear to be quite intelligent so it won't be long before they're up to speed with the rest of us since this type of game generally attracts the more cerebral denizens of our planet.

In fact, I'm surprised at the relatively low number of noobs launched out the tube strapped to a Bugnor.

And you guys thought the airlock was bad...

Lets see newbies I suppose I'm sorta middle ground here as I'm not a newbie but don't consider myself a vet (not yet anyway)but I do fullfill some of the requirements listed above.

The new group of newbies put me to shame(when I was a newbie)they are willing to learn and should give the big guns a run for their money when MP comes out.

IMHO

I think I'm in Limbo. Never played BC3K, but been hanging round here like a bad smell for best part of a year.

I don't think one becomes a veteran till one earns the respect of one's peers.

AND I DEMAND RESPECT GODDAMMIT!

On a general basis I always give newbies the benefit of the doubt, unless they decide to put their rear anatomy in their mouths, but it seems like these new batch of newbies have either 1) being long time lurkers or 2) darn intelligent as lot of them are not making the same mistakes that we did, not that I consider myself a vet yet

I'll wait for MP to prove my graduation.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

I consider my self a pre-vet, look at when I reged...I do not post too much, but I have been posting more now that bcm has come out, before this year, I would get on here maybe once a week and read for a few hours all the posts that I"ve missed...it was fun...now I"m checking everyday, not many people know me, and I know some people consider me a newb, just for my lack of posts, but I am really not a newb...

Well... maybe I can consider myself as a vet (looks at reg date , damn we lost our original reg date awhile back ) I gotta say that these guys take the job from betatesters . Everytime when I thought I found new thing to report, some of the noobs already are on it.

Well, then again it leaves me more time just to play and enjoy without bughunt and figuring all those mindless things that noobs are supposed try to do, 'cause they are already doing it themselfs. (Just joking) Really these newbreeds are more than welcome to the community.

And about mp, just lets wait until it's available, then we'll know .

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Papi ]