How does everyone like it?

goatman455

So, what does everyone think of BCMG? It seems cool, but suffers from the same problems as BC3000ad, mainly, steep learning curve. I do applaud the idea though, this is the ultimate space-fleet simulator. I hope Derek will keep the game evolving, because somewhere burried in this material is an all-time classic.

It's not buried. It's right there in front of your face. What you need to do is quit being intimidated by the supposedly insurmountable learning curve and play the damned game. What you need to know to get started isn't that difficult.

I agree Epsilon 5, I just think that with some more touches this game will could be one of the absolute all time greats. That is if, time and effort are put into improving the flaws of the current game. I think a mistake a lot of reviewers have made is that a game with many flaws is a bad game. A bad game is one in which the bad flaws outweigh the good. A game as ambitious as this has many flaws, and many good things, but will take an eternity to perfect. The more iterations I see, the better the game gets, but it still isn't where I want it to be, and I think I am not alone in that assesment.

I'm not sure flaw is the right word. There are maybe 3-4 interface features that cause annoyance, and maybe 3-4 game features that would really add to the game, but apart from that the game is excellent. I enjoy playing it, in the same way I enjoy programming. No its not a simple "blow stuff up" game, but I have plenty of them anyway. It is a classic game already, it has the cult following, mass-market apathy, and media controversy that marks all great classics.

Complexity does not stop a game from being great!

Case in point Falcon 4 - classic all time flight sim - manual like the bible and a learning curve like the north wall of the empire states building. - still hearlded as one of the all time greatest flight sims.

Now BMCG has a MUCH easier contol system to Falcon 4 (Falcon's keyboard template is a nightmare) To the face that I introduced a few friends to BCM a little while back and after a little while they had the basics (flying, changing ships, blowing stuff up and landing on planets) without a manual and only the keyboard reference to guide them.

People are making too much of the BC learning curve - yes it's harder than say X-wing but it's easily scalled.

In answer to your question, Goat, what I LOVE about BCMG is the vastness of the game. I think the "steep learning curve" is vastly exaggerated. Granted, it's most helpful to RTFM but that goes for ANY game. Some gamers are vapid. They expect to have their hand held. This game won't do it. Actually, if it did, you'd miss out on, for example, the exploration of the unknown. Many of us get our butts kicked when starting out. Heck, I still get crapped on by the AI but that's all part of the game. That's fun.

For me, after playing for long periods, I get quite attached to my crew and ship. I enjoy trying to upgrade. I enjoy watching and helping my crew to grow in experience. I love to explore and poke around here and there. I love the combat!

Although I respect your opinion, I do have to disagree with you. No worries. If you've read much of the media about this series, it is touted as already a "cult classic". This game is not for everyone but what game is. I've been playing computer games on PC every since the Starflight series. As you can imagine, I've played A LOT of games. Of all of them, this game is the most unique I've encountered. It remindeds me of the Starflight games and goes WAY beyond.

Sorry you feel this is a "mediocre" game. But believe me, after playing the BC series from the beginning, it get's in your blood.

Welp sorry for being so verbose, it's just that when it comes to the Battlecruiser series, I tend to be quite passionate.

Cheers!

I never said this was a mediocre game, nor am I trying to troll, and I did own BC3000ad, and enjoyed it despite the bugs. BTW, for those people who love to accuse people of trolling, please take the time to read and understand posters points, rather than getting insulted and considering any negativity at all intentional. With that off my chest, I would like to say that I really do enjoy the game. In fact, I did say there was a classic burried here didn't I? I can't believe I am even being accused of trolling when I actually called the game a classic in so many words. My point was that with an ambitious project there will be many flaws. I tend to see potential and I believe even Derek himself knows this game is not where it should be, like any hobby, job, or work of art, its always a work in progress.

Hope this clears things up, and for what it is worth, a steep learning curve is fine, but a gratuitously steep learning curve is not. This game is going to have a steep learning curve given its scope (space-sim, space-fleet sim, universe sim, whatever you want to call it). With a few changes though learning this game could be easier. With that said I have always wanted a space game like this one, was excited for bc3000ad and am excited for UC.

quote:

Originally posted by goatman455:

a steep learning curve is fine, but a gratuitously steep learning curve is not.

You do understand that the learning curve in my games is not gratuitous right? You also do understand that my games are designed based on my ideas and how my brain works right?

Good. Once you've answered yes to both of the above, it should be immediately obvious that I won't design and develop a game if I didn't intend on playing it or if was beyond my intellect, abilities and skill sets.

In short - wait for it - I'm considered a genius. Pure and simple. As such, there is nothing simple about me, nor my games. And the people who buy, play and grasp my games, are of similar or matching intellect, standing and desirous of a challenge. If wanted to develop mass market rubbish, I would have. And I'd be richer for it.

But I prefer to stick with what I know and what I do well - and if a bunch of people out there share my desires and ideas, so much the better because it just means that I have that many guinea pigs to drag along with me on the next idea wave.

I think that with a few interface changes the learning curve could be made a little easier. I am not here to insult you or your game (I did buy them didn't I?), but you must agree with me that you could make changes for the better, I take you as someone who is constantly trying to improve their work, take this as a suggestion not as needless criticism. I am glad you did not develop mass market crap, but certainly there can be some lessons learned from some of the games that try and rely soley on graphics, style, and marketing to carry their sales. Please don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to insult you, but the comment 'I am a genius' seems a bit arrogant. Vision is nothing without implementation. That said, I do love the bc series (a little sad to see the name changed for marketing reasons, but that is reality), and I plan on continuing to play the series as long as you keep making it. I hope none of what I have printed will be misunderstood, but that too is the nature of reality.

Thanks

Sorry if I flaunt my own ignorance, but..."Steep Learning Curve"...?

Where...? Wha....?

"What chu you talkin about, willis?!?"

Or, in the words of our good friend, Baghdad Bob "Steep Learning Curve? I see no steep learning curve here, I triple guarentee you!"

This game is easy to learn and easy to play, IF you take the time to understand it and how it works. I cannot understand how one could fine this game difficult to learn! My little brother, but thirteen, has nearly mastered the controls of this game! Even he can plan and launch a ground attack on those (Dirty, bloody, *grumble, grudges, grr...) Terran Insurgent bases, coordinating his Ground Troops, Armor, and Aircraft to devastate the base!

Mediocre game? I have yet to see a game to match the DEPTH of this game, or the pure malevolence of the AI (May it thrice be cursed into the depths of Hell, those sneaky gits. As an aside, I finally realize and now heed the Manual's warning on Cloaked AI's power ).

Flaws? Certainly! Resnig is the center of all such problems!

Feth, the only qualm I have is the fact I can't walk around the inside of my ship (Thus making the task of killing Resnig AGAIN easier.) but I'm sure, one day perhaps, that too will be possible.

This game is amazing, and moreso, it's amazing how Derek Smart carries his game with such determination, pushing it again and again to greater levels of well...greatness.

I salute you, Derek Smart, and sympathize with you over the crap you have to deal with.

And now that I have made an ample fool of myself, I shall now stand down of my soap box. Yes Resnig, I'll stop standing on you now. Ah wait, hold still there Res, you got a bug on ya....Ill just nail him with my OTS....just hold reallllyyyy still....

Actually I am not a newbie in any sense of the word (if you were referring to me). While I am sure I have not logged in as many hours as some of you, I have been following the series since 3000ad, which I mentioned in my earlier posts. I don't mind the steep learning curve, I was just using it as an example to express my point that the game, as good as it is, could use some updated/fixed features.

quote:

Originally by Supreme Commander

.......and if a bunch of people out there share my desires and ideas, so much the better because it just means that I have that many guinea pigs to drag along with me on the next idea wave.

Oink, Oink?

quote:

Originally posted by goatman455:

That is the first time I have heard people excited at the thought of being a small rodent.

heh, you won't get it, because you're not part of the family. That comes with tenure. Which you don't have. So, anything and everything can and will seem odd.